METROPOLITAN REPUBLICAN CLUB

Metropolitan Republican Club Shop Ad

 


Home

Activities

Events Calendar

Speaker Series

News

Clubhouse

Club History

Member Spotlight

Met Ball Gallery

Contact Us

Join or Renew

Shop

Links

Facebook Icon

Metropolitan Republican Club Shop Ad

 

                         Elected Officials                              Club Presidents

A Proud Tradition Continues

The Metropolitan Republican Club continues to serve as headquarters for many Republican campaigns and the New York Republican State Committee as well as host of many social and educational events. Ann Coulter, Monica Crowley, Steve Forbes, and Mike Huckabee are among the speakers who have recently appeared at the Met Club. In perhaps a first for the club, two rival campaigns operated from the clubhouse in 2013. John Catsimatidis’ mayoral campaign had their Manhattan offices in the ballroom while George McDonald’s mayoral campaign had its headquarters in the bunker. After sharing space for a couple of years, the New York City office of the New York Republican State Committee operated from the second floor of the club beginning in 2013.

Current History
A candidate speaks with members of the Metropolitan Republican Club in 2014
     

2000s

2000s History
New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani holds a rally with the Republican New York City Council Candidates in September 2001 at the Met Club.

Metropolitan Republican Club member Michael R. Bloomberg made the ballroom the Manhattan base of operations for his 2005 mayoral campaign. Excitement for the 2004 Republican National Convention in New York City helped swell membership to 521 that year. 2002 saw the Met Club host an abundance of campaigns including George Pataki for governor, Anton Srdanovic for congress, Andrew Eristoff for state senate, Gail Hilson for assembly, and David Friedman for assembly. The second floor became the headquarters for the New York Republican County Committee in 2001. Also that year, Bloomberg chose the club’s ballroom as the location at which to announce his intent to run for mayor.

 

1990s

During the 1990s, the club began having open houses on Thursday evenings, which eventually became First Thursday socials. Congressman Bill Green, Councilmen Andrew Eristoff and Charles Millard, and Assemblyman John Ravitz all ran successful campaigns from the Met Club during the 1990s. Club member and State Senator Roy Goodman continued his winning ways. Club members were active in helping elect Governor George Pataki and Mayor Rudolph Giuliani. The bunker was remodeled during this decade, and the clubhouse became air conditioned in 1991.

1990s History
Successful New York City Council Candidate Andrew S. Eristoff works the campaign phones from the Metropolitan Republican Club ballroom
 

1980s

1980s History
Congressman Bill Green and State Senator Roy Goodman ran successful campaigns from the Metropolitan Republican Club ballroom.

In 1989, former U.S. Attorney Rudolph Giuliani announced his candidacy for mayor with a 30-minute speech at the Metropolitan Republican Club. Met Club member Bill Green consistently won re-election to his congressional seat throughout the 1980s. Likewise, Roy Goodman consistently won re-election to his state senate seat. During the middle of the decade, the clubhouse provided space for the Village Light Opera while also meeting the club’s needs. Club members were excited to see the election of Ronald Reagan and later George H. W. Bush as U.S. President.

 

1970s

1970s History
Pictures of Bill Green on the street campaigning in 1979 and Met Club members campaigning for Roy Goodman also in 1979

Metropolitan Republican Club members were excited to help elect Bill Green to congress in a political upset in 1978 and then help him win re-election. In the mid-1970s, the Met Club endorsed and campaigned for the New York State and the federal Equal Rights Amendments. The excitement of the re-election of former club member Richard Nixon as U.S. President was short-lived as he resigned from office and left local Republicans with many political challenges. The clubhouse served as campaign headquarters for many candidates including U.S. Senator Jacob Javitz. Between campaigns, the clubhouse also was used for art auctions, flea markets, and many other unique uses.

 

1960s

Member Richard Nixon was first elected U.S. President and member Roy Goodman was first elected to the New York State Senate in 1968. The club began using its new eagle logo by the end of that year. To avoid having to change names with each redistricting, the Republican Club of the 9th Assembly District changed its name to the Metropolitan Republican Club on August 23, 1968. Many club members took leading roles in city government following congressman and club member John Lindsay’s election as Mayor of the City of New York in 1965. Member Theodore Kupferman was elected to the New York City Council in 1961, which began a political career that led him eventually to fill Lindsay’s congressional seat and finally to become a State Supreme Court Judge by the end of the decade.

1960s History
Club members showing their support for John Lindsay during his campaign for Mayor.
 

1950s

1950s History
Charley Whitman, June Polichek, Janet Whitman, and a guest having a good time in the clubhouse circa 1955-6.

In 1957, the club began experimenting with eagle logos that eventually would lead to the design used today. Assemblyman John R. Brook, U.S. Attorney General Herbert Brownell, Roy M. Cohn, Rep. Frederic R. Coudert, Assemblyman Howard Henig, Councilman Stanley Isaacs, State Sen. MacNeil Mitchell, Assemblywoman Genesta Strong, and Paul Windels were among the speakers at the club during the 1950s. In addition to speakers and social functions, the club presented a film series. The club’s Welfare Committee visited or wrote to those who were ill and distributed toys to children in Lenox Hill Hospital. The club’s Veterans Committee, reactivated on February 15, 1950, remained active through most of the decade.

 

1940s

In 1947, club members Frederic R. Coudert, Jr. and Jacob K. Javits were both elected to congress. On January 3, 1946, the 15th AD Republican Club changed its name to the Republican Club of the 9th Assembly District. Roughly 1,500 members of the armed forces attended the 42nd club ball in 1944. Member Thomas E. Dewey was elected Governor in 1942. In an effort to show that people of diverse philosophies can still work together for the welfare of the nation, the club invited Franklin Roosevelt to its 1940 ball, but Roosevelt declined.

1940s History
The clubhouse in 1940
 

1930s

1930s History
Alderman Joseph Clark Baldwin plays Santa Claus at the club's annual Christmas celebration (Times Wide World Photo)

In 1933, the club operated a soup kitchen for needy families in the district. Fiorello La Guardia announced his candidacy for mayor in the clubhouse in 1933, but later the club was a source of opposition to his re-election. The clubhouse hosted annual Christmas parties attended by as many as 300 children with Alderman Joseph Clark Baldwin dressed as Santa. The current clubhouse formally opened on October 6, 1930. The cornerstone of the clubhouse was laid on May 25, 1930, with Congresswoman Ruth Baker Pratt presiding over the ceremony. Until the clubhouse was built, the club operated out of the Croyden Hotel.

 

1920s

Prior to moving into the Croyden Hotel in 1929, the club had a clubhouse at 1041 Madison Ave. 1928 saw club members Joseph Clark Baldwin elected to the New York City Board of Aldermen, Samuel H. Hofstadter elected to the state senate, Abbot Low Moffat elected to the assembly, and Ruth Baker Pratt elected to congress. The previous year, member Louis J. Lefkowitz began his long political career when he was elected to the assembly. Starting in 1924, the annual ball was held in the Commodore Hotel. In 1921, member Charles Evan Hughes became U.S. Secretary of State, and Ogden Livingston Mills became a member of the U.S. House of Representatives.

1920s History
During construction of the current clubhouse, the club operated out of the Croyden Hotel (picture of the Croyden in 2012)
 

1910s

1910s History
Theodore Roosevelt autographed a picture for the club

In 1917, the club became known as the 15th AD Republican Club. Member Ogden Livingston Mills was elected to the state senate in 1913, but resigned in 1917 to serve in the Army during World War I. Club members served turkey, ham, beef, cider, coffee, beer, and cigars to those working on Election Day for John Purroy Mitchell’s successful mayoral campaign. Theodore Roosevelt was enthusiastically received when he attended the 1911 club ball. Club member Charles S. Whitman began serving as New York District Attorney in 1910 before being elected Governor in 1914.

 

1900s

Until 1923, the annual ball alternated between the Palm Gardens and the Lexington Opera House. The club held its first ball at the Lexington Opera House in 1907. Member Charles Evan Hughes was elected Governor in 1906. From the second floor of 627 Madison Ave. in 1902, the club began its illustrious history as the Republican Club of the 29th Assembly District. President Theodore Roosevelt and Mayor Seth Low were members of the club then.

1900s History
1041 Madison Ave. as seen in 2005. This was the second location for the club.
     

Home  | Activities  | Events Calendar  | News  | Clubhouse  | Club History
Member Spotlight  | Met Ball Gallery  | Join  | Contact Us  | Links
Shop  | Follow us on facebook

   

PAID FOR BY THE METROPOLITAN REPUBLICAN CLUB, INC.
NOT AUTHORIZED OR ENDORSED BY ANY CANDIDATE OR CANDIDATE COMMITTEE
122 E. 83RD ST. NEW YORK, NY 10028-0838
COPYRIGHT  © 2015 METROPOLITAN REPUBLICAN CLUB: ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.